Between July and September 2017, 19,000 people from across Scotland contacted the Scottish Government, calling for a strong, ambitious new Climate Change Bill. In the photo above, children from Sciennes Primary School in Edinburgh joined us and campaign group, 38 Degrees, to hand in those 19,000 Climate Bill consultation repsonses to Cabinet Secretary for Climate Change, Roseanna Cunnigham MSP.
On the 24th May 2018, the Scottish Government released the Bill to Parliament. we were hugely disappointed by the intended target of just 90% reductions in emissions by 2050 and 66% by 2030.
Although it has now been released, there is a long way to go before the Climate Change Bill is voted on and finalised by the Scottish Parliament (probably towards the end of 2018 or early 2019). During this time, MSPs have the opportunity to listen to their constituents, take evidence and make amendments to the Bill.
We've also put together a resources hub with lots of information on how to take action, including all of our policy briefings, guidance on contacting your MSP and a timeline for the Bill becoming law. Visit now
You can also join our mailing list to stay informed about ways to join the Act for Our Future campaign.
SCCS is calling for the Government to:
- Set a target of zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 at the latest, and a reduction of 77% by 2030
- Ensure that future finance budgets are consistent with our climate targets
- Commit to actions that cut emissions and deliver and cleaner, healthier, more prosperous Scotland:
- greener farming: create a nitrogen balance sheet for Scotland by 2020
- energy efficient homes: ensure that all homes have at least Energy Performance Rating C by 2025
- cleaner transport: phase out the sale of new fossil fuel cars by 2030.
SCCS and the Climate Coalition have created a resources hub to help you take action on the Climate Change Bill: https://www.theclimatecoalition.org/scotland-act